Forums GOHARU

Go Back   Forums GOHARU > Forums > World of Tanks > Main > Articles

Old 11-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #1 
Garro

Info
World of Warplanes Review

Away we go!

As you might know, the closed presentation of World of Planes took place during the last Igromir 2011 and we simply couldn’t miss such an event, so we’d ordered the earliest slot on the business day and got to sink our teeth into the new creation of Wargaming. I must notify the readers, that we were shown the Alpha version, with the limited number of vehicles and maps available and with the disabled leveling system. The first and maybe the most important thing we’ve understood – planes aren’t tanks! Many elements of the interface might be familiar to the grizzled tankmen, but the combat itself, it’s dynamics and speed, is something absolutely new. I’ll start with speed, as some interviews have included a few question about it, since the BigWorld engine has some limitations, but, as expected, the developers managed to get around that nicely, the scaling successfully creates the feeling of great speeds. The speed can really be felt, in everything, so if you think that a T-50-2 flying at it’s maximum is fast, then you just haven’t seen a fighter diving onto your plane. One thing follows the other – the speed is higher, the pace of combat is faster, the test battles were over very fast and planes were falling one after another being shot down by accurate volleys. A real intense showdown in the center of the map. The developers admitted that Beta testers pay little attention to tactics and cunning maneuvers, so attack planes and heavy fighters in here are fighting shoulder to shoulder with brisk single-motor planes, instead of just entering the enemy base and bomb it to pieces. Team fights are intended to be absolutely different from that, but random battles are likely to stay the way they are – fun, fast paces and a little crazy. By the way, the game designed that was showing the game to us, had great success in demonstrating how the clouds work, in actuality, they have very little in common with the brushes from World of Tanks. I’ll try to explain what happened – the game dev was flying his IL-2 right in the center of the map and noticed three enemy fighter in front of himself, he quickly flied upwards and concealed himself in a cloud, the fighters couldn’t see him anymore but the same was true for himself, in a flash he dives back from the cloud, imagining the supposed location of the enemy and, here you are, one of the enemies appears in the crosshair, a quick volley destroys the enemy plane and he disappears in the cloud yet again. Everything is faster in “Planes”, even the “brushes” that make you invisible give mere seconds to catch the breath, during which a good pilot should make the only right decision, after all, getting a few quick fighters “on the tail” when flying a slow attack plane is far from pleasant.

IL-2? Who needs that, I must unlock F-3 Demon!

During the presentation we were shown the gameplay of several classes – fighters, heavy fighters and, finally, attack planes, the only thing we’ve not seen are naval fighters. Let’s start with the first thing.
Fighters, as you’d imagine, as fast small assholes, that can easily get behind slower heavy fighters and attack planes. However, speed isn’t always a good thing, we’ve seen numerous occasions of fighters getting closely acquainted with the landscape, for the reason of simply lacking the time to “pull away” their plane from a steep pique. It’s difficult to judge the damage output of planes, since the demonstrated machines were not of the top-tier (the aforementioned IL-2 is 6 th Tier, and yes, we were shown the leveling branches, even though that was not a part of the intended demo ;p), but based on the personal observation, you’ll have to “wear down” an attack plane, not just blast it down in a single volley. These guys are not the most thick skinned either, during the anti-aerial batteries destruction the game developer told us that a fighter wouldn’t last even 10 seconds in there, while his IL-2, while taking damage, was steadily blowing up the turrets with his rockets. I think it will be the most difficult class to master, but the efforts will be paying off.
The heavy fighter was like some sort of a work horse in “planes” – you know, like the IS-7 in “tanks”, it seems average in everything, but quite good on it’s own, most importantly, it’s easy to learn. They are more durable and deal more damage than a fighter and faster than an attack plane. Also, we saw a backseat shooter on the demonstrated model of a heavy fighter, that greatly increases survivability. The shooter is AI controlled, it opens fire if there is a threat, we were able to witness it and, bases on what we saw, it will be equally dangerous to fight these planes both from the rear and toe to toe. With that being said, instead of the tank weak spots, expect to be learning plane “blind spots” in which the shooter can’t get you when you’re flying behind the tail of the enemy. By the way, it’s just as I was saying, smaller fighters simply must know how to properly close in with heavier planes with turrets, otherwise, their life will be short and miserable indeed. The aforementioned shooter possesses an set of abilities, formed into what can be described as an ability tree from RPGs, we’ll be discussing that in greater detail during the developer interview. The heavy fighter is clearly easier to control, while a good amount of durability and turrets allow for a few mistakes here and there, which isn’t the case with simple fighters.
Attack planes and artillery have one specific purpose in every battle – annihilation of the enemy base. As was mentioned several times already, they are armed with various rockets and even bombs to do their job. I actually had a hunch that these slow machines will be an easy prey to more maneuverable and quick fighters, exactly like artillery when encountering an MT. But I was wrong. First of all, large caliber guns come into play and a bullet is faster than any fighter, also, the sturdy turrets really come in handy. All of you who follow the game probably already know that it will be possible to lock on the enemy to be able to see him circling around you, which is an invaluable function for an attack plane. When a fighter is sitting on your tail and doing it all correctly, avoiding the turret fire, an attack plane must be watching it closely and make sure to expose him to the AI gunner’s fire, all the while having to see what’s ahead of him, so such a duel must be interesting to watch. The class is more difficult to play than a heavy fighter, but still, the large number of hitpoints and turrets make the life easier.

It’s all in the skills!

As I mentioned before, combat in World of Warplanes is much more fast paced than in “tanks” and is more dependent on the personal skill of the player. Of course, player skills matters in “tanks” as well, but when it comes to team fights, it’s more about tactics. Meaning that taking down a single skilled pilot on a fighter with three heavy fighters is much more different than three-gunning a “seven” that had come from around the corner. Here, the potential victim, when getting ambushed, may quickly pull off a steep turn, dodging the line of fire (what would you expect, the turning tower is no more, now you have to aim with the little circle in front of the plane’s nose). A few seconds later the fighter is sitting on your tail and, as you see it, the fight might not end up with you as the victor. Of course, it’s too early to talk about end-game strategies that will be developed by clans, but it really seems to be this way. I guess, just like it is in real life, combat in the air allows for individuals to shine, unlike the steadily paced ground battles.
It’s likely that well played groups of 2-3 pilots will rule the show, not the coordinated massive rush of tanks with target callers marking the next tank to destroy. New strategies and levels of team play, but not any less interesting because of that. It went like that in the song:

“You’re lying for nothing, Vietnamese.
What I heard couldn’t be more clear:
“Kolya, let her rip, I’ll get him!”, “Vanya, hit ‘em! I will cover!”
Ivan the Russian ace had shot me down.”

You want to sing something similar when you see a pair of well played fighters in World of Warplanes.

Exclusive bits

I’ve been telling that we were able to take a look at the leveling branches of all nations and they were really impressive. Firstly, every class will have 10 tiers. Secondly, most of the classes will include several types of vehicles, for example, there are 4-5 tier 10 fighters for the Soviets. Thirdly, the Americans seemed to have carrier based fighters, two of which were of 10 th Tier, among which was the F-3 Demon. Of course, we won’t be seeing hundreds of machines at release, there will be specific class branches, every nation will have it’s own class at the start, and after that, the whole spectrum of planes will be added gradually, they have really great planes concerning the vehicles. By the way, the Alpha testers will be receiving exclusive planes for their participation in testing, so go sign up ;)
Old 11-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #2 
GoHa

Info
Had a chance to try it.

Have to admit, that flying itself (driving the plane) is not obvious. While you don't need to care about ailerons and flaps, following your opponent is a challenge, plane has mass and you need to deal with it. It is not that easy to follow at opponent gate.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #3 
mayeen

Info
when can we get hands on it? when does the open beta start?
Old 12-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #4 
Garro

Info
no information about open beta start :(
Old 06-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #5 
redgaga

Info
it is already playable see the press release http://www.dotmmo.com/world-of-warpl...ced-10208.html
Old 06-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #6 
GoHa

Info
"Closed beta" it is. Dunno when Open Beta starts.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #7 
Scarecrow13

Info
at least the screenshots for World of planes were announced publicly, yet there are nothing substantial available for World of Warplanes.The latest mobile game Armed Beasts is coming, if your are boring of the ordinary shooter games, you must like it. You can control one of the beats to fight.

Project Tank is a new browser game that rips off world of tanks.

Last edited by Scarecrow13; 04-09-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #8 
mayeen

Info
May I go to play this game now? I want to have a try
Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #9 
Garro

Info
right now you are unlikely to succeed, the game is still in beta test. but within the next 1-2 months will be already available

Go Back   Forums GOHARU > Forums > World of Tanks > Main > Articles